View Single Post
Old 28th April 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
I liked his responses the best. Guido seemed kind of a**hole-ish at times.
Actually, I think Guido's answers made the most sense, they were short, to the point , funny, and I agree with most answers.
In fact, I probably would have given the same answer to many questions ... We even like the same music, scary!

As a sidenote, you should look up Guido's posts on the Python mailing lists, they are patient and explain things well, they even answer `noob questions', including the `stupid' ones.
Can we say the same about every prominent programmer? *cough* Theo *cough* Linus *cough*

Quote:
I have yet to meet a Python-preferring programmer that wasn't a jerk (or 13 - *har har*). This isn't a blind stab of elitism at Python programmers; it has some tangible background. I was at a Linux conference and the only people who were all, "Python-this, and Python-that..." were - by far - the biggest jerks in the room.

Granted, you can do a lot, quickly, with Python, but objectively, I find it to be overly-easy. I could see it quite nice for something like Enterprise development where code clarity would be considered paramount, and it makes some things nice for quick, easy hacks, but a lack of decent, online documentation and the fact that I feel like a monkey with a keyboard when writing in it completely kills this language for me.
As a python lover&programmer of sorts, I think Python it *at least* as powerful as similar languages such as Perl, Java, etc.
I don't understand why you ``Feel like a monkey with a keyboard'', I have quite the opposite feeling.
I had to do some PHP programming at work today, and I felt ``Like a monkey'' several times and was wishing for Python features such as list slicing, list comprehension, string formating, sane for loops (foreach sucks), sane arrays/list/dicst (Seriously, PHP arrays are braindead stupid), namespaces, and many many other things several times.

Python is very well designed, many features as described as a PEP before any code is written, unlike some other languages where features&code seem to be added almost randomly.

The documentation also works very well for me, docstrings are nice, and with dir() and help() you don't really need the on-line docs.
In addition, two very good books about python have been written by Mark Lutz.

Quote:
and it makes some things nice for quick, easy hacks
The *lack* of quick easy hacks is why I like Python! It is not like Perl or PHP where every language feature seems to be a quick easy hack.