View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2016
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
My question is upgrading the packages. The two options I'm mulling over are
1) Generate list of index packages. Backup /home and configuration. Upgrade base. Disable xdm. Reboot into console. Delete all packages and install from the list.
2) Generate list of index packages. Backup /home and configuration. Disable xdm, reboot into console, and try to upgrade the packages.
Generally I tend to think that one should upgrade based on what they're experienced with unless there's a good reason to otherwise. You might even consider upgrading from release to release as you would -current snapshots (unless of course you have a good reason to do otherwise, but it wasn't clear to me if you do or don't based on your post).

Either way, as jggimi mentioned the only thing you have to actually do is # pkg_add -u && pkg_delete -a.

For the record, the above is essentially what we do at Devio.us and we've upgraded from 4.7 to (soon) 6.0 all on one machine, one release at a time. So I know the pkg_add solution works.

Quote:
A second question: Is there any value to reformating the disk in regards bad sectors, etc.?
Sadly no. Hard drives do what they do and have firmware to deal with those things.

Quote:
I have seen prior posts with problems upgrading packages between releases. Is it worth trying?
Yes. Do it. It's the recommended strategy for upgrading packages.

Quote:
Will the firmware update with the new base install or should I delete radeondrm-firmware-20150927 and reinstall to be safe? The upgrade guide indicates that only the iwn firmware is an issue.
fw_update is essentially a wrapper around pkg_add. OpenBSD effectively treats firmware as packages.