View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2013
Too dumb for a smartphone

Hi, and welcome to daemonforums!

I remember setting up the 80x50 mode in OpenBSD many years ago in one virtual console. At that time, if I recall correctly, it was done at boot time with configuration files (similar to the way it can still be done on NetBSD). I was looking for those files, but couldn't find them. But, based on your FAQ link, it seems that things may have changed as it doesn't reference any such config files.

Now, more helpful than the above hopefully: when I did use the 80x50 mode, I found that the text was very hard on the eyes. One couldn't work with it for very long. This is because of the poor resolution of the fonts at that screen geometry.

An alternative is possible with some hardware on very recent versions of OpenBSD. They have implemented a VESA framebuffer console, that is used automatically when possible. While I am not an expert on these changes, it appears that they work with certain Intel and radeon video hardware. If you have access to that hardware it will look much better than the fonts at 80x50.

Hope that may help a bit. I'll try to review the FAQ later when I have time.