View Single Post
Old 4th April 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
This questions makes no sense at all. There is no documentation, no code, no binaries (for DragonFly and OpenBSD at least) for any NVidia hardware. So how are people suppose to get thing working? I am surprised that you got any answers on mailing lists.

To port what? Binaries which were compiled by NVidia on FreeBSD for FreeBSD? I do not want to sound rude but I would edit that part of your questions because you never know when such kind or Internet trail can hurt you. I personally would never hire a person who asked such question for any kind technical work.
I should probably explain here that I am not any sort of an IT professional, nor do I claim to be. I'm an IBEW electrician and semi-professional musician who supports open source and use Linux / *BSDs as a hobby, so if my knowledge is lacking I apologize. I haven't asked any questions about NVIDIA on mailing lists, though, but my question about binaries pertained to whether FreeBSD binaries were completely incompatible (with DragonFlyBSD) based on that Phoronix article and some posts on the DFBSD mailing list, specifically one I found from 2010 where someone claimed to have gotten the NVIDIA FreeBSD binary working on it.

See this post from 2010:
Quote:
I know that the NVIDIA driver works, but I did have to do some slight
tweaking with corecode on the IRC channel before I got it to fully
work. This was with my GTS 250 and a while ago though on 2.4

Wish you the best of luck with this endeavor.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Vitaly Shevtsov <loki.vt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm new to the DFBSD. (I subscribed today). I use DragonFly for
> desktop and I'm satisfied with this system.There is only one thing
> upsets me - nvidia driver for my GeForce GTX 260. I tried this rep
> (git://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~corecode/nvidia.git) to make FreeBSD's
> drivers works under DFBSD and I tried to compile nouveau from
> pkgsrc/wip. Neither one nor the other failed. Please let me know if
> someone has successful experience of getting hardware acceleration in
> DFBSD?
>

--
A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters. Coldly lieth it
also; and this lie creepeth from its mouth: "I, the state, am the
people."
So based on that, plus the fact that there is already a port available for nvidia-settings (which is only useful for the proprietary driver to the best of my knowledge), I thought it was worth asking about. https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DPor...vidia-settings

Edit: Just closing this thread out, John was good enough to get back to me very quickly on the mailing list. Here was his response:

Quote:
Using a NVIDIA card with an NVIDIA driver is not an option, and there is
no anticipated change to this situation in the outlook. The
nvidia-settings port is therefore useless (it was added automatically,
not manually with reason).

John
That package got my hopes up, but at least I have a definitive answer.

Last edited by guitarfreak; 4th April 2014 at 08:24 AM.