View Single Post
Old 25th June 2011
Disgruntled desktop user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
AMD is little-endian and Sparc is big-endian so obviously AMD can not be development environment. However, I am surprised that you found a problems with AMD64 packages since that is what most developers use outside of the development. I would guess that AMD64 is the most installed version (maybe even the best tested) of OpenBSD.
Hmm you lost me there Oko. I know Sparc is big endian (like the machines I work on which is one more thing to like about it) but since most OpenBSD runs on Intel 86 and 64 why couldn't Intel be the development environment? And then use each machine family for porting?

In FreeBSD I found many ports simply broken and when I email the maintainer they say oh yeah it doesn't work on AMD64. What really sucked is it often went for an hour or so compiling and downloading huge files just to stop in the middle of the build with a "is not support on this platform" message. You couldn't have told me that at the start?

In OpenBSD I didn't find any broken packages, just several packages I wanted don't exist at all for AMD64. That was a few releases ago and I have been busy with other things and didn't have enough boxes so while I usually have machines with all the big 3 BSD and Linux I am back to only Linux and Solaris Intel at the moment. I hope to fix that with Open and maybe Free on Sparc and Solaris Sparc.
BSDForums.org refugee #27
Multibooting with LILO

Last edited by Randux; 26th June 2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: forgot to use the right terms, in FreeBSD I build from ports