View Single Post
Old 30th July 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
So does this mean, I should not ask about it here ?
I was speaking generally, and not about your experience with shep's guide. Absolutely, ask here about it. And you were right to bring the problem here. I wasn't sufficiently articulate, and I should have started a separate thread, because my post wasn't related to your problem ... just how you handled it, which I perceived to be perfectly correct. You returned to the source for assistance.

We get a lot of new users who search relentlessly for "how to" docs, for provisioning recommendations, for knobs to twist, and for scripts and shortcuts ... and that's to be expected. However, they often neglect to ask the source when something is confusing, doesn't work as expected, and come here or go to the Project mailing lists when they should be asking the author to update, revise or support .... and really, that's what the first part of my post was about.

The second part was recommending that admins be mindful to inspect unofficial software before using it. And that may just be because there are a lot of software tools for Unix-like systems that recommend install by something like this:

Code:
# bash < (curl -s http://our.wonderful.website/downloads/install.sh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I have debated putting the configuration files into user and root file sets so that they could be installed in the same manner as the installation file sets but felt that would diminish the learning experience.
Understood.
Quote:
...I also would appreciate any feedback on omissions, bugs unclear instructions etc.
I'll take a look, but it won't be for some weeks to come.

Last edited by jggimi; 30th July 2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: removed link to non-working example url, and typo, and thinko