View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexter View Post
...so they do not first travel out of my network to the internet and than back in again....
That can be solved with local DNS. e.g.: When inside your private LAN, your local DNS server(s) respond to a resolution request for "our.webserver.inhere.com" with your inside-the-firewall address. No need to redirect with PF.
Quote:
Hmmm its unfortunate that PF will not "lookup" the IP on-the-fly.
There would be a significant performance impact, as each and every test of such a rule would require either an /etc/hosts lookup or a DNS request.
Quote:
Would you be able to show a sample code for PF that would work for redirection using DNS Name (I will have to just reload my config if my IP changes.)
I have never used name resolution with PF, but according to pf.conf(5), host names may be used in tables or rules. Resolution is done at table load or ruleset load time. ":0" may be appended to a rule host name to limit the resolution to the first IPv4 or IPv6 address resolved, but, in tables, all resolved addresses for a hostname are added to the table.

In your first post, you said of your rdr rules:
Quote:
I have tried adding redirect rules for my internal interface but they do not seem to be working.
You don't say if there are syntax failures or other issues. If the rules load, you can use pfctl(8) with "-s <rule-section>" to see the various components of your resolved rule set.

Last edited by jggimi; 9th February 2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: clarity