View Single Post
Old 16th April 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
dd'd the first 512 bytes to /mnt2/openbsd.pbr (dd if=/dev/rsd0a of=/mnt/openbsd.pbr bs=512 count=1)
What is the device name of the drive you are wanting to dual-boot? Am I correct assuming you are wanting to dual-boot Windows 7 & OpenBSD from the same drive?

The steps enumerated above simply indicate that you have installed OpenBSD to a bootable USB flash drive. I suspect you want to now boot the bsd.rd kernel so you can install OpenBSD to the drive where you have hopefully freed up space. Most laptops still use IDE drives internally, so the device name of your intended boot drive will be wd0 unless it is SATA or SCSI (which I doubt...). Understanding all of Section 4.9 is critical.

Once you install OpenBSD to the same drive where Windows 7 is installed, then you will want to use dd(1) to obtain the PBR & transfer it to Windows 7 boot partition.

However, once OpenBSD is installed, you will need to remember to reset the MBR's active flag using fdisk(1) to the Windows 7 boot partition in order to boot Windows. When the BIOS transfers control to the boot drive, it checks the MBR's active flag to determine which operating system to begin initializing. At that point, you should be able to transfer the correct PBR to Windows' boot partition.

If you are still experiencing problems, post the output of dmesg(8) so we can see the drive topology in play.

Last edited by ocicat; 16th April 2011 at 02:06 AM.