View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2017
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkygoby View Post
Define 3rd party. Define base (the install media?).
gcc is GNU but it is in OBSD "base".
Did you not read my second post or are you a Debian user leaping to its defense to troll me? This and your prior posts seem to hint at it... I refrained from posting this poll one full day due to this possibility. If it becomes a matter of contention I give full approval in Admin locking the thread.

I defined 3rd party programs as:

Quote:
LibreOffice, 3 text editors, PCManFM, Xarchiver, mplayer, GIMP, Xsane, Mutt, Deludge BitTorrent client, 3 calculators, WiFi manager, etc.
The default FreeBSD install comes with the base system and a terminal. Yes, it does include vi and TWM. The OpenBSD base install included Xenocara as well.

That is a far cry from the list of 3rd party programs, which is far from complete, I provided from the Debian Jessie Live Disk and what you get when you install Debian Jessie from the Live Disk

Quote:
Define Linux.
Debian standard install media is the "netinstall" iso. Doesn't have any 3rd party program you mentionned but a web browser and a text-editor: resp w3m and vim-tiny.
Again, my second post defines just what distro and medium I had in mind.

Quote:
What I had in mind when I said "full suite" of programs was what comes with a Live CD of Debian 8.
I loaded my Debian Jessie GNU/Linux Live Disk and took the names of the 3rd party programs I listed directly from it. Boot one up yourself and check to see if one program I listed is not included with the Debian Jessie Live Disk with the LXDE option, including many more.

Quote:
Are you aware of PC-BSD (= somethingOS nowadays)?
Yes, I helped beta test PC-BSD beginning at v0.7.3 in 2003 and continued until around September 2005 when I switched to vanilla FreeBSD. I am also aware of GhostBSD and MidnightBSD among others, including TrueOS.

Are you aware there is a difference in vanilla FreeBSD, OpenBSD and PC-BSD, and that I specified FreeBSD and OpenBSD in my post?

FreeBSD as you obtain it through freebsd.org and OpenBSD from openbsd.org to be exact.