View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Sometimes, I do think that Ubuntu is for people who hate Windows. (And also, for some people who, as they age, get tired of spending hours getting the basics working so that they can go ahead and do what they have to do.)

However, that whole Linux is for people who hate Windows strikes me as aiding MS, Apple, and the other doodie head companies.. The whole open source community is too small to fight among themselvs, though they certainly manage.

Ubuntu's stated number one bug is that Windows is on more computers than Ubuntu. It's made to be an easy transition, and is quite successful in that respect, at least on most desktops.

To those to whom a computer is merely a means to an end, it's a good alternative in some cases.

That is the majority. To most of us, the computer is an end in itself, but most people just want something to work. To us, the command line is far more powerful, to most people, it would be one more thing to learn before being able to make their report that is due tomorrow.

I think Mr. Shuttleworth is aiming at the desktop market. OpenBSD isn't.