View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th January 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Because of the vagaries anyone can experience (like that described above...), jggimi frequently makes the suggestion that new users simply allocate one large partition for / until users have had enough experience to understand their own specific needs.
Yes, I do. Using the automatic configuration values is often fine, but not always. Admins who are building -current components are supposed to have either sufficient capacity management knowledge or disk space, to avoid storage capacity problems. As an expedient, the savvy admin can always make temporary filesystems for use during building, using MFS, loopback NFS mounts, external USB drives, etc.

(It is not strictly required to build Xenocara to stay -current on a workstation. One can, instead, use the x*tgz filesets from the most recent snapshot, unless one has special needs, or just wants to gain experience.)

I just installed -current on a new netbook over the holidays, and selected the automatic disklabel configuration, just because I'd never used one before. In the event I need to build something, and have insufficient disk space in a partitition, I'll use one of those expediencies. So far, anything I've had to build for it (a couple of ports without packages due to licensing) I've built on another platform.

I did make -two- partition changes from the automatic default, after installation. /home was converted to a softraid(4) crypto discipline device, and /tmp was replaced with an MFS partition. If I ever use an application that saves possibly private information into /var/tmp, I will make it an encrypted partition as well.

Last edited by jggimi; 6th January 2010 at 01:37 PM.