View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2009
Tcpdump Spy

We use ReCAPTCHA for the registration form, this is not something we need (Or can) update, since it's sourced from the ReCAPTCHA site and updated there.
AFAIK ReCAPCHA is one of the better CAPTCHA systems today.

Quote:
Can you modify the registration form? Some uniqueness will stop a few of the automated scripts.. perhaps have new users confirm their password three or four times instead of the default of two.

A little bit of PHP and HTML knowledge should be enough to find a way to break simple scripts.. the rest of the vermin can be squashed with Carpetsmoker's left boot.
Not really, many bots are pretty "generic" ... And there are also humans breaking CAPTCHAs for spambots.

What I would really like is a (basic) content-based spamfilter, something like this for example:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131568

As a sidenote, in another thread (Can't remember which) and also in some post reports it was mentioned that this is starting to look like BSDForums, I can see where that is coming from, but I would like to note two key differences:

o Spam is actually being removed, note that on BSDForums the moderators has to individually move every single post a spammer made to a hidden forum called /dev/null -- So if a spambot posted 20 posts then they had to move 20 posts -- do'h! Even worse, they were unable to ban the spambot, there were spambots with hundreds of posts (I believe ocicat kept scores for a while).
On this forum an Admin just has to select one post from a spambot, opt to delete all posts made by this user and opt to ban the user, click on the button and it's done! Once a spambot is noticed it's a matter of seconds to clean it up.

o Things are being done to stop the spam from happening at all ... I know things are moving rather slowly, but at least they are moving.