View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2015
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

My core switch at home is a Cisco 2948 that operates at 10/100. I'd upgrade to, say, a 2960 or 3750, but I can't justify the cost (mainly with the wife, but I'm having a hard time denying the "overpricy-ness" of Cisco equipment). Even with everything running full blast (wife playing games/streaming twitch/etc... kids watching Netflix, etc... and me, well, doing what I do) the bottleneck is still the internet connection and not the switch. I should mention that all Windows machines on my network are on their own /30 vlan, so none of them can talk to each other. Cuts down quite a bit on the chattiness of the network. Even still, the main trunk to the firewall has bottleneck'd a time or two (large internal transfers between vlans + lots of internet traffic), so when I moved up north and rebuilt the firewall, I built it with an active-active LACP link between the switch and firewall. I haven't had any issues since.

I have a few smaller side switches that are gigabit (nothing that really *needs it*), but given my 50 Mbps home internet connection I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade. Once I get FiOS that may change, but for now I can't justify the cost.

Last edited by rocket357; 11th April 2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo: 2600 != 2960