View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2008
Port Guard

First off, thanks for the replies. I checked with the COO and he said go for it, so I ended up going with Iron Systems anyway.

Stukov, I have looked into dell.ca before. One thing I noticed is that they really like Broadcom for on-board network. Our current server (Tyan GX28 B2881) has on-board Broadcom gigabit ethernet which caused the server to hang every 24 hours or so. I had to actually disable it via jumpers to cease the hanging. Plus, I just checked out dell.ca and they didn't have anything as low-end as I would have liked. Perhaps I should have mentioned better what I was looking for...

Phoenix, I think this would be the route I should take next time. Did you go barebone+parts, or just select everything (eg: case, motherboard, etc)?

The biggest concern for me were the power requirements. With just over an amp left in the rack, I had to be careful. Iron Systems did have an answer for me regarding power usage, so that ultimately won in my mind. In the future though, it would be nice to have a Canadian company to rely on.