View Single Post
Old 10th November 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
nmh, which despite its name is not very new! It is very nice, command‐line oriented and very scriptable (no curses interface). Unfortunately it is also very old—but at least it supports MIME.

For sending mail, well, I use OpenSMTPD as a relay to GMail, since it’s in base (on OpenBSD) and uses TLS for auth. I’d like to encrypt my email too, but haven’t gotten around to it yet…
I was not aware of that one. I looked the web-site and it looked very interesting. It is indeed original mail client for Unix systems unlike Mutt or Alpine which bring nothing new and interesting to people who use Berkeley Mailx(1). The lack of proper IMAP support however would mean that I would have to use fdm to fetch the mail which is not the case with Hairloom mailx.

We discussed only MUA here. Heirloom mailx which I use can be easily forced to use another mail server (currently I use default Sendmail server) on OpenBSD. In particular OpenSMTPD has sendmail like interface due to the fact that will eventually have to replace sendmail in the base of OpenBSD (which is like all Unix-es built around Sendmail). When Sendmail gets removed from the base of OpenBSD most people will not even notice it.