View Single Post
Old 29th April 2009
Lisp Junkie

Carpetsmoker, roddierod, I hope I haven't offended either of you with my comments towards Python - it's just my, subjective, opinion on the language based on past experiences with the language and past experiences having to deal with Python zealots.

I wish to stipulate, though, that I do not think Python is all bad; I have done the odd bit of Python - here and there - that has left me going, "COOL!," but the language as a whole just simply does not appeal to me.

I have had this theory that people use programming languages that align to their ways of thinking - again, this is not meant to be an offensive comment. I admit that my ways of thinking, while somewhat structured, do tend to have those moments where duct tape is required (impulsive fixes with the first thing in reach), which is perhaps why I do most of my programming in Common Lisp; it allows this kind of work- and think-method, and it is easy to replace the "duct-tape" code with "proper" code.

@Carpetsmoker: I agree with you when it comes to PHP - I have just finished a tiny project for my work and I really hope I can manage to keep any PHP work to a minimum. Perl was the first language I learned, and it has its place as a parsing language, but PHP - given its roots - is just needlessly messy, IMO.

Last edited by indienick; 29th April 2009 at 03:23 PM.