View Single Post
Old 15th March 2011
Port Guard

1. Description of my intranet:
My SOHO net consisits of a OpenBSD server that serves as a gateway between the intranet and the internet. The internal interface is a ne3 and connects to a switch where all hosts connect from the other side. Internet connections of the hosts are managed by appropriate nat rules in pf. This is internal_interface_1 in pf rules.

The wifi interface is also configured to connect from within the intranet thus its IP is in the private address space with just another subnet. Again nat rules in pf for connections to the internet are established.

On the other side is a ethernet interface fxp0 which connects to a dsl box and from there to the internet. The IP for fxp0 is assigned via dhcp from the dsl box within a different subnet than ne3. This is internal_interface_2 in pf rules.

OpenVPN is realized through tun0 interface. This is the "external" interface in pf rules.

2. Reason to use OpenVPN:
Germans are known to be a bit paranoid about their private data. Despite this fact the german government plans to collect every data from everyone that uses the internet (and telecommunications as well) as a means of fighting terror, so they say. So the ISPs will be obliged to store every data of who was where and when on the internet. This is called "Vorratsdatenspeicherung", kind of data preservation. They have done this before but were stopped by the german Constitutionanl Court. But they will try again soon.

That's why all connections/services from my intranet to the internet are established via OpenVPN to a anonymisation service and are so anonymized and can not be backtraced. And this includes every host on my intranet be it a PC, netbook or cell phone.

I don't have anything to conceal nor am I member of Al Kaida . But these are MY data and belong to me exclusively. Nobody has to have special interest in them. Hope this does not sound too weird

3. Which mobile client:
At the moment I try to connect to the wifi interface with my cell phone, Nokia E52. But it's supposed to work with every device capable of wifi funtionality.

Greets,
Sebastian

Last edited by sws; 15th March 2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo removed