View Single Post
Old 25th September 2008
Arp Constable

One thing you might want to think about php111, the contents of CD1-3 are all out dated, but you only need CD1 to install FreeBSD itself. The ports/pkgs (which include xorg, kde3, and gnome2) are all very outdated.

I generally find it best to install, run freebsd-update (or switch to 7-stable via source), then install the desired software (x11/xorg, wm/de, etc) via packages or ports. Because it allows you to have less trouble sorting out the installed software later, until after you've learned how to update installed ports/pkg properly.

You should also print out jggimi's last post, and keep it as a reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerulean View Post
Ubuntu is a nice product, agreed. But with his goal of learning BSD and dual-booting, PC-BSD makes a nice simple install to get to a GUI so he can have a functional, graphical BSD system while learning. Depending on his system, perhaps doing virtual machines might be an option (under Windows, Ubuntu or BSD) --- this would give him the ability to setup a virtual network and not worry (too much) about messing up his desktop install.
PC-BSDs last release (7.0) might go down in history along side their 1.5.1 release, the way FreeBSD 5 and FreeBSD 4 have --- to much change from the last release, much too fast. If it works for him out of the box with kde4, that would be a mission accomplished, if not, well he'll probably have stability problems with PC-BSD lol.

Some of the posts on their support forums over the new release, have given me a tad less then enthusiastic point of view. Using it under VirtualBox especially seems problematic.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.