View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
More noise than signal

• /usr/local/info is a repository for packages that install info(1) documentation.
  • Ratpoison is a window manager.
  • 1.4.4p1 is -current as of 17 March.
  • The packing list in the .tgz was created by pkg_create(1), using the port's PLIST and additional information.
  • The pkg_create program is called by the package target in the ports make infrastructure.
Unfortunately that information is all that I know. I don't have a clue what your problem is, because your problem report doesn't tell us much of anything. There's a lot I do not know:
  1. I do not know if this system is i386 or macppc, you've mentioned using both in the past. Perhaps its yet again a different architecture?
  2. I do not know if you are installing from snapshot packages, or if from packages you built yourself, since you have told us you've built from ports.
  3. I don't know if you are running -release on this machine or -current, and if -current, I do not know what particular -current.
  4. I do not even know what you were installing. To call something "gnome related" only limits you to some 700+ different packages.
I'm now going to explicitly state some things you need to do, because neither the "perfect newbie" thread nor the OpenBSD project's instructions I linked to have helped. Please read this carefully, and follow these guidelines:

How to make your problem reports better:
  1. Include a dmesg. This tells us who built the kernel and when, it tells us the hardware architecture, and it tells us about the hardware config. For this particular problem, we didn't even need a complete dmesg; just the output of sysctl kern.version would have answered questions about the flavor and architecture and recency of your system.
  2. Post the commands you use. I haven't a clue what you were installing, and I would never be able to recreate your problem without that.
  3. Provide enough information so that someone might be able to recreate your problem. In this case, if you were installing packages from a mirror, post your $PKG_PATH. Sometimes, the problem can be a bad copy of a file in a mirror.