View Single Post
Old 17th December 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
I have read several times on misc where Henning Brauer suggested to use OpenBSD i386 on AMD boxes, instead of the amd64 version if speed for a pf box was a concern. I only didn't manage to locate those messages in the misc mailing list archives
Henning has told people not to use MP systems as routers because the kernel and pf do not take advantage of them.. but AFAIK he hasn't said anything about the i386 port being faster than the amd64 port.

As for cranking the {recv,send}space knobs, they typically don't recommend tweaking those either.. 65535/65536 are probably the highest you should set them if you ever do, any higher and you're wasting memory and bandwidth on every connection.

Your Atom router should be more then capable achieving full bandwidth if you generate enough traffic on your LAN systems, if you find the global TCP/UDP window sizes on your BSD systems too small then you're free to tweak them if you have the need.. the need for speed.

Sorry for going off-topic J65nko, but personally I would recommend against using SOHO router devices.. OpenBSD has 2 PPPoE clients, kernel and userland.