View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Why would you need to be connected to the Internet during the boot process?
That's what I thought too, till a friend of mine who knows a million times more about computer than I, read page 25 (FreeBSD Unleashed) "A floppy intallation involves downloading several hundred megabytes..." - a remark that the author could've made less confusing
Quote:
From the looks of things, it's failing even before the kernel is loaded.
It is.
Quote:
1) You incorrectly created the floppy images, or they are corrupt.
Certainly not. I remember your name from the thread on this subject in the former forum; I guess you didn't follow up the thread, or you probably wouldn't say that.
I made every effort to understand the explanations about ftp, md5checksum and all that unknown (to me) stuff; did the research on the web and executed it correctly, I'm quite confident about that.
Quote:
2) The floppy disk or drive you're using is damaged.
Floppies were brandnew and re-formatted - the drive tested with other floppies.
Quote:
There are other options for booting BSD on a system, if either via CD-ROM or PXE(netboot), it's still possible.
My friend, though he's no UNIX-expert, told me to dump the Compaq, so I gave it up and will try to get hold of another old machine to experiment with. (PXE netboot? ok, some more googleing to do )
Quote:
Personally, in my opinion, with all due respect, PEBKAC is a prime candidate for this error.
That's a nicer remark than the one you made in the other forum, thank you. You might be very much correct, but I'm glad you see that I don't give up easily, despite being computer-technically challenged (and never too old to learn )