Thread: help needed
View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelmaster View Post
Here is what I entered: "//ftp.openbsd.org/pub/openbsd/4.6/packages/" and "pkg_add
-v ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/openbsd/4.6/packages/i386/<package>".
If you are manually connecting to an ftp site followed by issuing pkg_add(1), this is incorrect. Section 15.2 of the FAQ describes the necessary sequence of steps.
  • You will get a faster response if you connect to a mirror site geographically close to you. The list of available mirrors can be found at the following:

http://openbsd.org/ftp.html
  • As an example, if the master site is closest, assign PKG_PATH:

$ export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/packages/i386/

The path is case-sensitve. If you defined the path as quoted above using all lowercase characters, this may be the reason you received a "not found" response.
  • The export command used is specific to the shell where the command was issued. pkg_add(1) must be executed as root. This can be done in one of three ways:
    • Use su(1).
    • Use sudo(8) (preferred).
    For example, if you want to install Python, which is primarily defined by python-2.5.4p1.tgz, issue the following:

$ echo $PKG_PATH

This should display the exact string entered earlier. Now, install the desired application via pkg_add(1):

$ sudo pkg_add -v python-2.5.4p1
  • If you have problems with sudo(8), respond back & one of us will help with its configuration. Otherwise as a temporary fix, you can log in as root, ensure that PKG_PATH is correctly set, followed by issuing the pkg_add(1) command. Recognize that routinely logging in as root is not considered a best practice in the Unix world.
Again, the FAQ can be your friend.
Quote:
However, when I entered "ftp -a ftp2.freebsd.org" I was connected to "moss.cse.buffalo.edu".
To promote clarify & avoid confusion, we will continue to discuss package installation on OpenBSD in this thread. If you want to discuss installing applications on FreeBSD, start a new thread in the FreeBSD forae at this same site.