View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2008
Port Guard

It's not a case of rehashing. I physically add the new commands to the raw mfsroot image, in an entirely separate session. Then I replace the mfsroot file on the FreeBSD 7.0 CD-ROM and boot the test box with this new CD-ROM. It boots up as it normally does, automatically running sysinstall.

Ordinarily it would leave you in the sysinstall main menu, but I've also created an install.cfg on the CD-ROM, and when sysinstall sees this file, it runs the commands it finds in this file. One of the commands is a request to run a shell script I've created and stored in /stand in the mfsroot ramdisk. This script is supposed to run some commands to perform some preinstall actions I need. The script runs fine, and the commands in the script run fine as well, as long as they are the default mfsroot binaries. None of the binaries I've added (e.g. gmirror) work however, not during the automated sysinstall run. They work fine though in the fixit shell. The new binaries are in /stand the same as the normal binaries, and I fully qualify the paths.

Surely this is something that's allowed, extending the mfsroot image. I must be missing a trick somewhere.