View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2014
Stubborn throwback

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
The two obvious options are ccd or raidframe. While ccd is 'less sophisticated' it might actually be better for your usage as you can concatenate different sized partitions, while raidframe only works with striping (which is better performance wise, but only if you have a power of two data disks)
Good to know, although I suppose with raidframe there's the option to use two physical disks and then partition the virtual disk how you like. (That actually might not be a bad approach here...)

Quote:
Raidframe can also autoconfigure so any raids will assemble correctly when the kernel boots before mounting any filesystems (even if you shuffle all the disks around).
Does ccd not? Will that affect the boot process?

Quote:
I think gcc-4.8 (which should be in netbsd-7) is looking much better for reliable native code generation (assuming you have a boat load of memory and more patience than God).

Otherwise someone time and the right itch could look at a VAX frontend for clang, or spend some time on pcc/VAX. The latter certainly should be performant enough on VAX.
Yeah, modern gcc is incredibly huge and slow for this level of machine (and it's only got 80MB RAM anyway.) I'd be open to pcc if I had an environment set up for doing cross-compiles so I could get it. Currently about the only option for native programming with an actual build in the packages collection is pforth. (Oh, and Bywater BASIC.)

Quote:
Anyway, congrats on the 3100/90. Its a nice box. Do you have a framebuffer & cables for X on it?
Nope, it's serial-only. I suppose theoretically one could set up X and then use a suitable client over Ethernet, but I shudder to think how most modern X software would run on this thing...

Last edited by commodorejohn; 27th November 2014 at 04:40 PM.