View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th November 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstef View Post
I read the openbsd.org/faq/faq15 and according I make my system in sync.
This was exactly the right thing to do.
Quote:
So I've installed the OpenBSD snapshot from the 14-Nov-2013 12:24 bsd.rd, from the 18-Nov-2013 10:01 loongson directory, then I tried to install packages from 18-Nov-2013 10:01 packages directory. Result: I can't install packages because bad major.
Where is my mistake?
It is imperative that the installed system & the ports tree be synchronized, however, snapshots are created from the head of CVS which is where development takes place. You may want to review Section 5.1 of the FAQ to understand the difference between OpenBSD's flavors.

There have been changes made to core libraries in the last few days which means that the libraries' versions have been incremented (bumped) to formally indicate their changed behaviour.

The packages made available to snapshots will usually lag behind the base system because it can take days to build (even when only a subset are built...) packages as opposed to hours for the base system. The problem you have experienced is that the core libraries expected by the packages you attempted to install required a different version than what was actually found.

Snapshots users are expected to understand that this situation requires either:
  • building packages locally & manually.
  • testing a more recent snapshot.
Since you are new to OpenBSD, my question to you is:
  • Is there a specific reason why you are using snapshots?
  • Will using -release or -stable fulfill your needs? Using snapshots (-current) means that there will be occasional mismatches that users will have to deal with on their own.

Last edited by ocicat; 20th November 2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add reference to -stable. oops.