View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2013
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
@xxERICxx
This is drifting off topic but to answer your question you will need to post more information.

OpenBSD Developers put a great deal of effort into keeping documentation current. Because of this, the version of OpenBSD you run is important to post. I would review /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/gnome. The gnome meta package (url removed) for current suggests that you could be having several issues like user permission for drm, dbus, memory limits for OpenGl, etc. This readme has undergone several revision on the way from 5.3 -> 5.4 -> current.

In general you will be well served by reading all of the pkg-readme's.

I sincerely apologize for off topic material... however I just wanted to offer a response.

I appreciate all of the hard work that is put into the documentation... in fact I have several files on my desktop for referencing (several times I may add) - currently reading pkg-readmes/gnome, pkg-readmes/dbus & avahi. I have read the initial mail, the afterboot man page (three times and took notes)... every piece of official documentation I could find on X11 both within the OS and OpenBSD's faq pages (which I love). and I have read and took notes on lots of man pages as I move along....

Trying to get it on with OpenBSD is turning me into a serious man page junky. For this reason alone I will not give up easily and will stick with it.

Also I am a subscriber to misc@, www@, and x11@... but I am in observation mode... currently reading the newest edition of Absolute OpenBSD and to be honest, the author has put it in my mind that until I am much more well versed, I should refrain from posting in the mailing lists...

Anyway, sorry for off topic... surly as things move on if I can't get gnome to compile etc, I will maker my own post... after other channels have been exhausted :-)

@ocicat - Thanks for the welcoming :-)
I actually first tried OpenBSD with an nvidia gt430, so I learned super quick that wasn't going to work out... I happened to have an ATI (xfx) 1GB card on deck, so I am using that... running OpenBSD with xfce at the moment - I like to use the desktop while I learn a new system..

Anyway, thanks Gents... back to on topic :-)

Cheers.