View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
I would like some advice on what books to purchase in order to further my understanding of OpenBSD and Unix in general.
As you may have already discerned, there aren't many OpenBSD titles available, & there certainly aren't many recent works published. Nevertheless, the two newest titles should be on your short list::
  • Michael Lucas has just published SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels, & Keys in electronic form. You will find information on where to find it on undeadly & in this daemonforms' thread.
  • Peter Hansteen's second edition of The Book of PF for networking. Note that this book is based on his online manuscript which is periodically updated.
Both of these titles may be more topic specific than you were hoping to see, but they are solid works, & supporting the authors that target the small OpenBSD niche market helps provide the positive feedback needed for them to write & update more works.

As for general Unix titles, my personal favorite is a classic:Disclaimer: I reference Amazon merely for convenience. Most books can be found at other outlets too.

Lastly, re-reading the project's FAQ is time well spent. Besides the technical content, seeing where the project may be moving in the future can be found in-between the lines.

Last edited by ocicat; 11th February 2012 at 03:13 PM.