View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack2003 View Post
i think that im missing some dependencies.
One of the primary problems with porting is that it is extremely time intensive, & it requires understanding what the previous developers had in their minds & understanding what issues they were facing. In order to comment intelligently on the questions posed, anyone here would have to retrace the steps you have already taken & critically look at the bigger picture at that point. As for me, this would require more time than I have to spend on this particular problem.

My suggestion to you is to study the FreeBSD port first since a port already exists. Perhaps what you learn there can be translated to OpenBSD, or perhaps not, but starting from a known working point may be more effective than simply grabbing the source & finding that it doesn't build cleanly on a different platform.

Another alternative would be to simply run the FreeBSD port on FreeBSD.

This is why in my original response to this thread I stated that we don't typically provide detailed porting support here. The investment required can be very high, & you probably have the highest motivation to see to its conclusion.

I wish you the best in your quest. You can learn a lot from the process, but you may also want to re-evaluate whether you have the skills needed or whether a different platform will suffice.