View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2009
Port Guard

Apologies, I should have really elaborated on my situation a little more.

I'm running a single machine, with one OS - OpenBSD. I have two partitions, one for /, since I don't use the home folder for any really important data, I didn't bother separating it. It is a UFS partition. The other partition (Which is also UFS filesystem) is under /mnt/Files, and contains all the data I wish to keep separate from the system, like music, documents, home/etc backups, setup files, etc.

I have a external drive which runs NTFS. It's the only drive I can do it with, due to the size, and it's NTFS over FAT32 because it's actually a SATA drive in a caddy, which 'turns' it into a external USB drive. So, to read/write to the drive, I will need to have NTFS support. I wish to copy all the data I have on the UFS partition onto the NTFS drive, format my machine's HDD accordingly, then put the data back onto a dedicated NTFS partition. Converting the drive from one filesystem to another with the data might work, but sounds a little risky (If it can even be done from UFS to NTFS).

The suggestion of a VM is really good - I am thinking that I could use VMware with OpenBSD in XP to access the partition. And, ofc, I will look at the software posted.

Thanks