View Single Post
Old 27th July 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexter View Post
... I'm talking about having PPPoE reconnect automatically when there is no connection already made.
I don't understand that sentence. If there is no pre-existing connection, then there's nothing to reconnect on failure.
Quote:
Example: I reset my interfaces /etc/netsh or pull the ethernet cable out temporarily and put it back, something that would result in losing the physical connection. I find that PPPoE does not regain it's connection. "redial the connection once the -path- is restored"
1. There is no "/etc/netsh" file in this OS.
2. When you are pulling cables, you are changing the physical infrastructure. The pppoe protocol is point-to-point over Ethernet. When you physically disturb the underlying Ethernet layer, more is going on then simply a drop of the PPP connection.
Quote:
If, on say a router, I were to pull the ethernet cable and put it back after a short while the connection to the internet would be restored. (assuming there was nothing preventing the connection) -I would like the same scenario to occur on OpenBSD.
Then set up a cron(8) script that runs every few minutes, checks line status, discovers an outage caused by your yanking cables, and attempts a restart.
Quote:
Also I have noticed PF fails when I reboot my system. I believe this is because TUN is not up yet. Would there be a way to work around this? Or do I have to put all my ext_if with ($ext_if)?
Parentheses are used for dynamic IP addresses, not dynamically created pseudo NICs. To have the OS create a tun(4) interface at boot time, you can use something similar to:
# echo up > /etc/hostname.tun0
Quote:
Regarding specifying the route.
I've tried many combination's of the below...
That isn't helpful to our diagnosis. Try several steps:
  • Connect without specifying a default route in your ppp.conf. Examine the output of $ route -n show -inet. If you need a default route at that point, try adding it with the route(8) command. Examine the route table before/after.
  • Connect with specifying a default route in your ppp.conf. Examine the output of $ route -n show -inet.
  • Lather, rinse, repeat.
If you need further assistance after that, post your routing table, before you begin issuing routing commands, and after, and the commands you executed,too.
Quote:
...However the gateway tends to be somewhat randomly assigned. I was told from my ISP that I should be connecting to a particular one (since the IP is static) and I would like to try it since my connection seems rather pour since switching from my hardware appliance to OpenBSD.
You have described a gateway at the other end of your PPP connection that changes. That gateway address MUST be your default route. Each time that remote address changes .... so must your default route.