View Single Post
Old 25th May 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666
I never have problems with Xorg, instead of dismissing it entirely.. how about posting the configuration file so we can fix it for you?
It's nor a configuration issue, I've used the same configuration since ages.
Xorg stopped working after I updated last weekend, normally I don't really update that often, but I did so in the hope to solve three other xorg related problems:

o When switching from Xorg to a text-VT (i.e. CTRL-ALT-F1) Xorg leaves the screen in a garbled and unusable state... After switching a few times it does seem to work ... It *never* works after CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE (Needed sometimes for below issue).
I experienced the same problem with FC10 on three different machines recently ... VERY annoying.

o Sometimes when using the `Meta' (Or `Windows') modifier Xorg would freeze, only the mouse responding and CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE responds -- Note that I've been using the same WM (With the same config, and same version) for quite some time and never experienced this problem before.

o Stupid ``Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".'' warnings, annoying especially because I don't use menus and launch everything from inside xterms (Message is `mostly harmless', but just annoying).
The reason for this warning is rather silly, it's because the X libs support this extension, but it isn't supported by the X server yet ... Modular Xorg better my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666
Windows is never a solution.
Windows doesn't freeze every few minutes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko
That is because you do not use vanilla XOrg You are using Xenocara
What is Xenocara anyway? I know it's Xorg converted to BSDMake (Instead of GNU autotools), but does it also contain fixes and stuff? In other words, is it really different (better) that vanilla Xorg?

Might it be worth trying to build&run Xenocara on FreeBSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk
Right now I have a simple, reliable, implementation of X.
There is no such thing as ``a simple implementation of X'' (... But this is a different rant ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden
I wonder, why all major BSDs (and maybe OpenSolaris) will not create their own x11 fork and bring back quality to x11 then rely on this currently broken shit.

OpenBSD already has Xenocara ...
Because it's a lot of work?

X is not simple, in fact, it's very complicated, making a Xorg fork will take a lot of manpower ...
Also, as far as I understand is, Xenocara is not exactly a fork, but more a set of patches (OpenBSD people will undoubtedly correct me here if I'm wrong and/or provide more details on this)

Quote:
There was also Y Window Server some time ago, totally rewritten x11 replacement, but no one cared ...
Problem is that application will have to be rewritten, it would be a major paradigm shift ...

Quote:
Hi. Can Xfee86 be installed in FreeBSD 7.x (how, ports/package/off the sources)?
XFree is still being maintained, but support for XFree was removed from the ports tree a few months ago -- I believe the version in ports was rather old anyway.
It would be interesting to see if it would work, all the fancy 3D features are not that interesting to many of the BSD people, who mainly prefer stability over performance ...

As for the Linux/Xorg integration ... It seems like a very hypothetical issue that may or may not happen ... I would rather worry about the issues at hand (i.e. Xorg becoming crappy&unstable) rather than the issues that may or may not occur...

And as for ``Linuxism'' in other applications: This is certainly true, but the difference is that a) There are often alternatives for the ``Linuxism apps'', and b) That Xorg is more than just any application, it is a critical part of a desktop system.