View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2016
More noise than signal

1. Breathe.

2. Calm down.

3. Relax.

The occasional problems that I get come from laptop network changes. Operational issues that are caused by me: how I have things provisioned and how I use them.

My NFS mounts are over a private vlan(4) which requires wired Ethernet. When I unplug and switch to WiFi, that vlan is no longer active. NFS stops operating. If I have forgotten to dismount before disconnecting .... mounts are still in place. But not operational.

If in this state I try to do any I/O to an NFS-mounted device, the I/O doesn't complete. If it's a utility such as df(1), it won't complete unless I remember to add the -l option. If I forget, Ctrl-C will stop the utility.

If I plug the wired Ethernet back in, and reconnect the vlan(), NFS operations usually resume. They are UDP by default, and NFS has its own error recovery.

---

There have been rare occasions where something I have done precludes the resumption of NFS client connectivity. Applications doing I/O hung and could not be terminated. In those rare instances, reboot of the client has been necessary. Each time, it was something I did.