View Single Post
Old 20th June 2011
Port Guard

Here is what my network traffic consists of. There are no kids here, just me and my wife.

I run my computer sales and service business from home so I do a fair amount of remote connections via LogMeIn Central, Real VNC and SSH. I might have 7 or 8 connections going simultaneously. I download all the updates for customer PC's I work on here plus the new systems I sell and build. For personal use I use Netflix, live stream UFC PPV events through Yahoo Sports, watch some Youtube videos, web browsing, downloading various OS ISO's to experiment with and email. I work a lot at night so it isn't unusual to have a Netflix movie playing, a customer's PC downloading updates, be connected remotely to other people and a 4GB ISO downloading all at once.

My full time connected gear is 2 PC's, 1 laptop (wireless), 1 Windows Home Server, Nintendo Wii (wireless), 1 network multifunction laser printer, 1 debit/credit card machine and soon to be 1 OpenBSD router.

Friends and family sometimes bring their laptops and hookup to wireless which the 3Com router will still be used for as a WAP. Plus I usually have a test system running some version of Linux or BSD.

The Duron 950 machine I plan to use has two 3Com 3C905-TX NIC's in it. Should I go with GB NIC on the LAN side? The test machine I’m using now has a Realtek RTL8110SC GB NIC on the LAN side and a Realtek RTL8139D on the WAN side.

So in conclusion, with all the traffic I mentioned above will the Duron 950 machine with 768MB RAM and two 3Com 3C905-TX 100Mb/s NICS be sufficient enough to act as an OpenBSD 4.9 router? It will only be running SSH (for LAN side only), PF and DHCP. It will have port forwarding for port 443 to my WHS and two obscure VNC ports to access my two PC's remotely.