View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravuhaw2C View Post
I am using OpenBSD 5.5 (amd64, US keyboard). Is it considered release or current?
5.5 is what is referred to as "release".

Quote:
FVWM stands for Fluxvox, right?
No, you can search the web to find out what it stands for - took me about 1 minute.

Quote:
iii. Type letters and documents on a Microsoft Word-compatible but free and open-source word processing software.
libreoffice, should be ok?

Quote:
(a) change/update the software sources/repositories. On Debian, I would change/update the repositories using sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
When running OpenBSD, it's customary to just read the documentation rather than posting on forums asking for help with every detail. To be clear: I am also a beginner, nowhere near on the skill level of the posters in this thread, I read the documentation on packages and ports on the web and was able to get things set up pretty quickly:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

Quote:
(b) the packages that are considered essential.
I think what's "essential" is already installed in the base system no?

Quote:
On a minimal install of Debian OS, one would sudo apt-get install the following essentials[...]
Those are only essential to you. I would not even consider any of those "essential" on a Debian based system or any system for that matter. The Debian specific stuff will not be available for OpenBSD, for obvious/good reason. Packages are not called the same across different operating systems. The distributions themselves come up with these names. Thus there will be no "gnome-core". etc...

Quote:
What essential packages do I have to install for OpenBSD?
Once you have read the section on packages and ports and played about with the system, you will have more idea as to what you need or if you need it.

Quote:
(b) chroot/chmod some system files to prevent them from being tampered with.
I think you mean "chown", but I don't know the answer to this one. As far as I know hostname.if permissions get fixed automatically by /etc/netstart - no clue about anything else. It would depend on what you are doing and what you have installed.

Quote:
(just to clarify: the X Windows System is the graphical user interface, correct? the one which has snazzy icons and the gizmos on the desktop?)
OpenBSD's xorg is known as xenocara. You can easily search the web and read about this and what xorg / x window system is.

Quote:
Am I also right to say that even though I selected all the sets during installation, I would still have to manually install the package called xorg?
No, xenocara will be included in the base install if you selected all the sets.

Quote:
(On Debian, I have to install xorg first before I install gnome-core, lxde-core or Openbox. I understand that xorg includes all the free and open-source drivers of most vendors of video chipsets.)
I don't think it really matters what you had to do in Debian.

Read the packages and ports section and you will be able to install your window manager and other software of choice. First you will need to resolve your other thread and get your network connection working.

Last edited by blackhole; 13th July 2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: multiple typos...