View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
...No, you can search the web to find out what it stands for - took me about 1 minute.
FVWM doesn't stand for anything!!!

Quote:
libreoffice, should be ok?
I read somewhere on the internet that both LibreOffice and OpenOffice have serious security vulnerabilities.

Are there alternatives to these two?

Quote:
When running OpenBSD, it's customary to just read the documentation rather than posting on forums asking for help with every detail.
I did read the documentation, try to understand it and then post questions here when I don't understand what's in there.

Quote:
To be clear: I am also a beginner, nowhere near on the skill level of the posters in this thread, I read the documentation on packages and ports on the web and was able to get things set up pretty quickly
You should never use yourself as the yardstick by which to measure other people's standards. In a free and democratic society in which people are democratic, allowances must and always will be made for differences in people's learning abilities and skillsets.

You may have an obvious advantage over me if you have taken up courses in IT, computer science or programming at school or college.

Quote:
I think what's "essential" is already installed in the base system no?
I don't know and the FAQs and documentation do not explicity define what's essential.

Quote:
Packages are not called the same across different operating systems. The distributions themselves come up with these names. Thus there will be no "gnome-core". etc...
I didn't know that....honestly. It seems that I have to re-learn some of the things when using OpenBSD.

Quote:
Once you have read the section on packages and ports and played about with the system, you will have more idea as to what you need or if you need it.
Frankly speaking I don't wish to spend too much time playing with the system. I have plenty of non-IT non-computer stuff to finish up.