View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravuhaw2C View Post
FVWM doesn't stand for anything!!!
Yes and no, as I said, I found the answer quickly (in the first result on ixquick.com)

Quote:
I read somewhere on the internet that both LibreOffice and OpenOffice have serious security vulnerabilities.

Are there alternatives to these two?
"I read somewhere on the internet", doesn't give much to go on. You wanted MS word compatibility, those fit the bill, that's all I can say. Libreoffice is available in ports and can be installed in the usual manner - this does not mean that it's had the seal of approval however.

Quote:
I did read the documentation, try to understand it and then post questions here when I don't understand what's in there.
From my perspective, it seems to me that you simply ploughed in believing that your knowledge of Debian/Linux would get you through. Now you're discovering it isn't the same thing, you're posting a lot of threads asking a lot of questions which are mostly covered in the FAQ / existing threads. You may complain about the "tone" of the forum and those responding, but you have been helped.

Quote:
You should never use yourself as the yardstick by which to measure other people's standards. In a free and democratic society in which people are democratic, allowances must and always will be made for differences in people's learning abilities and skillsets.
I was not. If you can read and write posts - you can read the documentation and apply it, that's the only assumption I made.

Quote:
You may have an obvious advantage over me if you have taken up courses in IT, computer science or programming at school or college.
Also wrong on all counts.

Quote:
I don't know and the FAQs and documentation do not explicity define what's essential.
Everything "essential" is installed as part of the base system.
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#Included

Quote:
I didn't know that....honestly. It seems that I have to re-learn some of the things when using OpenBSD.
Yes.

Quote:
Frankly speaking I don't wish to spend too much time playing with the system. I have plenty of non-IT non-computer stuff to finish up.
If you don't want to spend time familiarising yourself with the system, then perhaps stick with a ready to run "works out of the box" OS. There are a whole plethora of these out there which would suit your needs better,

Last edited by blackhole; 13th July 2014 at 01:57 PM.