View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th September 2008
Arp Constable

Vim and nvi but mostly vim:

vim for syntax highlighting, multiple editing buffers (:sp, :vsp) and tabs (:tabnew), visual mode, better yank/paste under X, improved undo/redo support, spell checking documents (Vim 7), more portable mappings (e.g. <stuff>), :command history, using my vimrc to adapt to platforms/programming languages easier, and much better coping with with the old CR+LF, LF, whatever issues.

nvi for large files and long lines (like the ports INDEX file), quick edits, system files (when I don't need multiple files open side by side), and on systems where I don't need to do a lot of code editing. I like nvi because it is lighter and faser then vim.

nvi, is basically my minimal specification for editing. Give me at least _most_ of nvi's abilities in a vi type editor or emulate it and I'll edit files happily -- I say nvi, because I've never used the original vi. I do rather prefer Vim where possible, along with my ~1000 line vimrc but I only need a small part of Vi capability. nvi provides more editing power then I require on a regular basis. Unless it's a job I prefer nvi for, I scale down in order of preference: vim with my .vimrc, vim -N, vi, kate, edit.exe, ex, notepad.exe/kedit/gedit, ed/edlin in roughly that order.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.