View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2009
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by knasbas View Post
About updates, i understand the securityrisk but at the same time, if you dont mess with a working system, that system can keep running forever.
What do you think is better if you look at the security, openbsd not updated after inital install or linuxdist with automatic upgrades? and what do you think will be most stable system?
For a fresh install with nothing further done, I'd bet on OpenBSD against anything.
If you look at any system that is being actively kept up to date then at any one point in time, I would say that OpenBSD might be no better than <anything else>. BUT I would like to further qualify that statement by saying that it only applies to the basic install -- anything else you add (say, a torrent client) might not be as actively maintained -- it's a matter of upstream quality, no matter how actively you keep your system up to date -- and in that perspective I think it's safe to assume that OpenBSD trumps anything. (Isn't that why OpenBSD is slow to include all the latest bells and whistles, that they need to ensure it's up to par first, which takes time?)

Sorry for the rant.

You need to consider if you're focusing on security, stability, or features.

Last edited by KlaymenDK; 8th January 2009 at 05:33 PM.