View Single Post
Old 12th April 2009
Arp Constable

the bit about /usr/bin/true concerns me a bit.... lol.

one way you can see what shared libraries a program uses is ldd; it'll show the path and a memory address (or not found); $ ldd `which bluefish` for example (`which cmd` is usually less typing then /usr/local/bin/cmd)

the libxcb port should have built libxcb.so.2, but from the sound of the ld-elf output: libxcb-util likely needs to be rebuilt likewise. (libxcb-render-util is a library built on top of libxcb and stuffed in an '-util' group; bluefish likely uses the lib, which intern uses libxcb, +/- a few other layers of indirection). I'd suggest updating your libraries before the dependents if you can; utilities like portmaster/portupgrade are only so smart about build order.

Personally, I keep a list of software written out, kind of like a Standard Operating Environment (SOE). That lets me know exactly what software is needed; including the ability to semi-automate installing it all from that list. It also has the perk, I can remove every installed package and build fresh if things get to annoying or two hopelessly out of date. I've never had to call that in though, even if similar situations to your present one. One virtue of unix systems, it is usually very easy to repair with a bit of effort and a couple hours or days.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.