View Single Post
Old 13th April 2009
not quite new user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
the bit about /usr/bin/true concerns me a bit.... lol.
I didn't know what it was when you said that, so I searched it. I gather that icon-theme.cache is supposed to be removed and it isn't happening because it's being sent to a program that's supposed to do nothing? If so, no wonder you lol-ed. It's a 7mb file. Is that something I need to/can do something about?

Quote:
one way you can see what shared libraries a program uses is ldd; it'll show the path and a memory address (or not found); $ ldd `which bluefish` for example (`which cmd` is usually less typing then /usr/local/bin/cmd)

the libxcb port should have built libxcb.so.2,
It did, and I guess it wiped out the libxcb.so.1 when it did.

Quote:
but from the sound of the ld-elf output: libxcb-util likely needs to be rebuilt likewise. (libxcb-render-util is a library built on top of libxcb and stuffed in an '-util' group; bluefish likely uses the lib, which intern uses libxcb, +/- a few other layers of indirection). I'd suggest updating your libraries before the dependents if you can; utilities like portmaster/portupgrade are only so smart about build order.
xcb-util is the port name I needed. I got that by googling libxcb-util and freesbsd, but is there a way I could have found that out from the system itself?

It wouldn't do it with portmaster -rf xcb-util, it gave me:
Code:
 ===>>> Gathering distinfo list for installed ports

===>>> Currently installed version: xcb-util-0.2.1
===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/x11/xcb-util
===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for x11/xcb-util in background
===>>> Gathering dependency list for x11/xcb-util from ports
===>>> Starting recursive 'make config' check
===>>> Launching child to update devel/gperf
        xcb-util-0.2.1 >> devel/gperf

===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/devel/gperf
===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for devel/gperf in background
===>>> Gathering dependency list for devel/gperf from ports
===>>> No dependencies for devel/gperf
===>>> Recursive 'make config' check complete for x11/xcb-util

===>>> Checking ports that depend on xcb-util-0.2.1

===>>> Launching child to update bluefish-1.0.7_5
        xcb-util-0.2.1 >> bluefish-1.0.7_5

===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/www/bluefish
===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for www/bluefish in background
===>>> Gathering dependency list for www/bluefish from ports
===>>> Launching child to update gconf2-2.24.0
        xcb-util-0.2.1 >> bluefish-1.0.7_5 >> gconf2-2.24.0

===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/devel/gconf2
===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for devel/gconf2 in background
===>>> Gathering dependency list for devel/gconf2 from ports
Terminated
Terminated

===>>> Update for gconf2-2.24.0 failed
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> Update for bluefish-1.0.7_5 failed
===>>> Aborting update
so I did it with portmaster xcb-util.

The great news is that bluefish and tea are both working again! THANK YOU!

And I was so excited to thank you that I haven't tried anything else yet. I have just a few more questions if you don't mind.

How do I update the libraries first? Manually, one by one? (I'm pretty ignorant of the libraries, if you couldn't tell.) And will all libraries start with "lib"? So if I do a "pkg_version -v" all the lib*s listed there should be done first? Or is there a different command to do it more automatically?

I'm thinking now all I need to do is to reinstall the ones that aren't there anymore, and I'll be fixed, but is there something else I should do to make sure everything is right? Redo the portmaster -rf libxcb and portmaster -rf xcb-util?

Would it be a bad idea at this point to use portmaster -iva to get everything updated (that is kinda how this mess started)?

Quote:
Personally, I keep a list of software written out, kind of like a Standard Operating Environment (SOE). That lets me know exactly what software is needed; including the ability to semi-automate installing it all from that list. It also has the perk, I can remove every installed package and build fresh if things get to annoying or two hopelessly out of date. I've never had to call that in though, even if similar situations to your present one. One virtue of unix systems, it is usually very easy to repair with a bit of effort and a couple hours or days.
Easy to repair if you know enough or can find good helpers, like I seem to have found here. The list is a good idea, I'm going to do that once it's in proper working order. I feel like I need to keep a running log of everything I do, until I know better what I'm doing, just so I can go back and remember everything.

Thank you so much, once again, and thanks for all the tips also. Once I've made sure everything is working again, I'll let you know, and add a [solved] to the subject line.