View Single Post
Old 19th April 2009
not quite new user

I guess it's later than tomorrow ^, but I'm back with an update.

Little by little, I am getting the things I need back, by using these:
portmaster and portupgrade with an assortment of switches
and
make clean build deinstall reinstall (from the proper directory, I won't make that mistake again!)

Sometimes when something won't finish, I'm getting the last message on the screen and searching for whatever is causing the problem, sometimes doing a workaround instead of actually solving the problem.

For instance, emelfm2 was hanging on gstreamer, and I tried installing gstreamer-plugins, but got this:
Code:
configure: Requested 'gstreamer-0.10 >= 0.10.21.1' but version of GStreamer is 0.10.21
configure: error: no gstreamer-0.10 >= 0.10.21.1 (GStreamer) found
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to multimedia@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
the
"/usr/ports/multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/work/gst-plugins-base-0.10.22/config.log"
including the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be
a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
(e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1
I am not sure if I should submit that, because I know I have problems, so wouldn't want the developer people to spend time chasing a bug that is not a bug but my messed-up system.

Anyway, I got to wondering why a file manager would use gstreamer (after searching and finding out what it was), and there was a configuration for
'THUMB=off (default) "Enable the thumbnail plugin" ' which I had enabled the first time around, and once I did make config and set it to off again, it compiled.

I am still not finished though, and my latest problem is:
Code:
===>  Building for tuxcards-1.2_2
/usr/local/bin/uic src/gui/dialogs/expiredElementsDialog/ExpiredElementsDialogInterface.ui -o src/gui/dialogs/expiredElementsDialog/ExpiredElementsDialogInterface.h
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libaudio.so.2" not found, required by "libqt-mt.so.3"
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/deskutils/tuxcards/work/tuxcards-1.2.
*** Error code 1
so I'll go try to figure that out, and maybe one day, I will have all my programs back. But I actually will be happier when I get the time to build a 7.1 system from scratch, so nothing from my screw-up will come back to haunt me later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
On my box (7-stable complied a few weeks ago) /usr/bin/true is a 4kb file; or did you mean the file being sent? (I assume true is to : like test is to [ in sh script; but I've rarely seen true or : used)
The cache file was 7mb.

Quote:
I believe some programs (either on their own genius or threw ports 'make' targets I dunno about yet) can save old libs (portupgrade comes to mind), but generally yeah it should've killed it; ports/pkg have an idea of what files they come with and try and clean up after themselves.
Well, if the icon-theme.cache file keeps growing, I'll get rid of it manually (after renaming it and testing, so I don't get in another mess).

Quote:
The way I found out about it, was looking up libxcb, and following the link in pkg-descr to cure curiosity over it as an "xlib replacement"; which mentioned using supporting libs (with a list) for higher level programming (I'm a programmer by nature; cleaner by trade). When I looked over the output you posed again, I saw the 'libxcb-render-util.so.0' part and it clicked: libxcb-render was one of the supporting libs I saw on the web page.Having the libraries name, I knew it had to be either part of libxcb, libxcb-render, or some other package; a search of ports turned up xcb-util and a look around their pkg-plist / Makefile 's clinched it. (I use ports-mgmt/psearch and www.freebsd.org/ports for it). The files in /var/db/pkg/pkg-x.y.z_a and /usr/port/category/portname can be very handy for gathering info.
I seem to remember from when I was using Gentoo Linux that there was a command that would tell you what libraries were supplied by which program packages - like "command libraryname" and it would spit out what you had to install to get the library. Of course, FreeBSD is not Gentoo (thank god!), and I may be misremembering too, it's been a couple of years or more.

Quote:
Really, I think a big part of computer savy'ness is learning how to get half a clue, and hack away at it until it leads to something else; trying to learn more about that shows good signs padawan ;-)
Thank you; I'm not new to technical stuff, just fairly new to compiling from source. I'm also pretty shy by nature, and hate to look like an idiot in public, even if y'all don't know who I am. lol, silly, I know.

Quote:
You'll find us lot much more inclined to help those who are willing to help themselves.
Ah, yes, I'm a bit that way myself. When people can't bother to try to be self-sufficient, they're gonna need a LOT of handholding, and perhaps it's best if they don't go there in the first place. I try to be understanding, though, that sometimes things that seem obvious to the experienced don't make sense to the inexperienced.

Quote:
One thing you might like is using 'script' to log stuff; normally when doing a big round of updates I execute 'script /home/Terry/descriptive-name.scr' from the root shell and go run stuff, so I can have some clue of the output of programs beyond the terminals scrollback buffer. (note: control chars from shell line editing or apps like vi show up in the file, and can sometimes make it harder to search the file via editor or grep). I've still got a 15M 'world.scr' from last weeks update (I think the logs of portmaster were over 50M)
Great, making a note of that one!
Quote:
& thank you for deciding to add a [solved] to the thread title when it eventually is solved; it helps people find the thread and know "hey, the solution is probably there" :-)
Sure thing.

Quote:
I still remember the joys of dealing with libxcb / glib20 back in February'ish in my before-last periodic update of everything. Ended up having to rebuilt most of X11 and GTK+.
Shudder! I still have nightmares about the big x.org update, where it went from monolithic to modular. I was using Gentoo at the time. I think perhaps some of my bad experiences with it is what makes me timid to upgrade FBSD. It may have improved again by now (it wasn't always bad), but I haven't looked back since coming to the daemon side.