Thread: printerserver
View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2010
More noise than signal

CUPS with Samba appears to be an elegant solution. Microsoft Networking with Microsoft Network attached printers, and browser-based printer management. I thought so, and did use them together at one time, since I was already using Sabma for file services.

No longer.

All it took was having a printer driver/connectivity problem. Diagnosis was effectively impossible. Too many bells and whistles, not enough actual "management" in the management tools with CUPS, for me.

I switched to using the built in lpd(8), and it works fine with Windows workstations. Instead of a Microsoft Network attached printer, you use a "local" printer port that points to the IP address of the lpd(8) server. Google for "windows lpd printing" to get lots of "how to" documents for settting up the workstations to use LPD printing.

---

I use the foomatic-filters package, in combination with the hpijs package to make non-Postscript HP printers look like Postscript devices.

I just looked, and the hpijs package contains two .ppd files for the 3050, depending on submodel or printer provisioning:

/usr/local/share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/HP/hp-laserjet_3050-hpijs-pcl3.ppd.gz
/usr/local/share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/HP/hp-laserjet_3050-ps.ppd.gz

One or the other can be gunzipped, placed in /etc/foomatic, and added to /etc/printcap, as described in the foomatic-filters documentation.