View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2009
Port Guard

Regarding the failed scompat extract, I've posted just about what I know about it . . .only that it occurred during (I think) the make of FireFox.
Quote:
Can you post the full error message?
I'm not sure what scompat is, it's not part of FreeBSD base nor is it a port (deleted or otherwise).
My previous post includes a link to an SCO.com document that includes this description:
Quote:

COFF- or ELF-based applications developed for SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2 (or later releases) that use graphics may not work correctly on the system VGA/EGA/CGA console or Fiber Optic Workstations, which are STREAMS-based beginning with UNIX System V/386 Release 4.

The scompat command sets up the workstation environment so that these applications can function correctly. While the environment is in effect, access to the workstation as a STREAMS device will not work correctly unless the -r option is used with the argument 4 (see below). ~~~
. . .based on your observation and I too could not find any reference to it in the ports tree, perhaps it's a legacy dependency from a make file based on or obtained from Mozilla(?)

Regarding FireFox, I agree . . .I don't want much of anything running as root. More troubling is that I only find /root/.mozilla and there is absolutely nothing in the directory (other than . & ..)