View Single Post
Old 20th July 2010
Port Guard

If you want my personal opinion then I would say that DragonFlyBSD is my favorite "BSD" for a desktop.

It has HAMMER file system, with instant recovery (so does FBSD with ZFS some say, but I have never tried FBSD with ZFS), so you don't need to worry about fsck after OS crash. This is (for me) a top feature. Also adding extra disk volumes is very easy (one command and your fs has extra GB - no need to adding stuff to fstab).

It has a snapshots system, so you can "go back in time" and reverse some stupid mistake in config files or undo some changes in your home documents (even after trashing it!).

DFBSD was not designed for desktops but runs pretty well even on a netbook with small internal disk (20 GB ssd with HAMMER).

What I have to like in DFBSD is pkgsrc, which isn't so up-to-date as ports in FreeBSD, but in the end you can make with it your favorite WM/DE with most needed apps (WINE isn't working under DFBSD).

The issue I had with most BSDs I have tried on my netbook was suspend. It seems that I just have to live with out that option with is fine with me.

For a new comer - I would recommend PC-BSD or DesktopBSD (a better but out-of-date option) or installing FBSD with PC-BSD installer (sysinstall is a mess when you use it first time - good thing is another computer with google or youtube around). FBSD based OSs (as all above) are very close to linux when you compare available apps (i know this is not an OS issue but still counts specially for new comers) and hardware support.

Because of pkgsrc and a smaller number of binary packages DragonFlyBSD (NetBSD I suppose also) and other that do not use FBSD ports need more flexibility and adjustment, therefore shouldn't be used as a first BSD "distro"

Quote:
Now, I'm not itching to make any sort of migration from one system to another. I just did that with Windows.
When you write some thing like that, for me it sounds like

"I don't want to spend an hour or two with google and a trylion of web pages, let then do the job"

Why don't you install virtualbox or use a 4-8GB usb-stick SD and install one of BSDs and see for your self. After a while linux will be a history for you&your computer

Last edited by klanger; 20th July 2010 at 08:06 AM.