View Single Post
Old 10th November 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 View Post
I was using vi.
That's what I use. Just don't try to add special characters. Since I don't use hosts.allow, don't have time to try to recreate your problem in a lab, and don't have access to your files, I don't know if you've uncovered a bug or if you've done this to yourself.
Quote:
Anything else I should consider?
I don't have enough information, yet, to make additional configuration or provisioning recommendations to you.
Quote:
Would you recommend PF for a Snort box? I am using my openBSD install as a Snort sensor.
Sure. I haven't used snort in years, myself.
Quote:
I see the current package of snort 2.8.6 on my openBSD 4.9 install is about to be end-of-lifed.
The same release of snort is packaged with 5.0, and is what is also in the -current tree.
Quote:
Not sure when the packages will be updated.
As I don't use snort, and haven't followed any of its developments, I don't know. But with OpenBSD, every third party package is built from a port, and every port has a $MAINTAINER, if one is assigned, or is supported via the ports@ mailing list, if one is not.

There is an individual who maintains this port. You could either ask on the ports@ mailing list, or Email the maintainer with the question. Here's a link to the snort port's -current Makefile in the CVS repository, where you can pull the name and Email address:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/ports/net/snort/Makefile?rev=1.62;content-type=text%2Fplain