View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2008
Shell Scout

Default Asus WL-167G setup on FreeBSD 7.0

Okay, I'll need a little help with this one here.. This is my first time using a wireless card under FreeBSD..

I've bought a new Asus WL-167G wireless card, but I can't get it work under FreeBSD 7.0. I've tested the card under WinXP machine and it works fine there - scans, connects, etc..

During boot time my Asus WL-167G card has been detected by FreeBSD and the rum driver is loaded, so the card appears as rum0

Here's what I've done so far, perhaps someone can show me where I'm doing something wrong..
Code:
# ifconfig rum0 list scan
-- getting information about available access points ---
# ifconfig rum0 ssid MYSSID
ifconfig rum0 shows that is connected to MYSSID, but there is no carrier, also the channel is set to a different that the ifconfig rum0 list scan shows so I tried ifconfig rum0 ssid MYSSID channel 6:g, but it seems that FreeBSD always sets the channel to a different value, not 6 and the access point uses only channel 6.

Also the IP address is set by DHCP, so dhclient rum0 always shows no link........... giving up

Adding this to /etc/rc.conf have no result either:
Code:
ifconfig_rum0="DHCP ssid MYSSID"
How to configure that wireless card for my FreeBSD system, I'm missing something here, but what?

Thanks!