View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by barti View Post
Still I can't get that simple answer.
No, you can't. Your question isn't simple.
Quote:
If I get a dedicated from m5hosting.com put on it drupal 6 + mysql + php.
Which dedicated server? They have many different hardware offerings.

Had you specified what hardware you were considering, a general recommendation might have been forthcoming. For instance, multiprocessor performance with FreeBSD is generally better than with OpenBSD. That does not mean that it would always be the case or that it would be so for your application.

I'd recommended to you that you test your solution with both OpenBSD and FreeBSD. It will take a few hours. That is much less time than your "weeks of searching".
Quote:
Serving a community of 2000 users.
The number of unique users is of little import, that's just the number of rows in a database table. Of far more importance is the transaction rate required.

You had already told us in this thread that you wish to support a rate of 500-1000 transactions per second. I have shown you a benchmark of a small Intel-compatible server environment -- Linux instead of BSD and Apache instead of nginx, but with the MySQL database on the same computer. That was able to produce less than 9 transactions per second. Either your requirements are wrong, or your application will require far more computing resource than a single Intel-based computer.
Quote:
I think the best is to use freebsd as web server + database server and openbsd as the front server - firewall.
You could install and run your solution on any OS that supports your application suite. You have a preconceived notion that FreeBSD will be better. Fine. But you asked for opinions. My opinion is that you do not have a clear understanding of your needs, and that Drupal deployments are resource intensive. If you really need 500-1000 TPS, it doesn't matter what OS you choose; no standard Intel-based platform is likely to be able to supply that level of service.