View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see this working under the model that M$ gives away a high-powered PC essentially for free, and then just collects pay-per-use. If they did that, then their competitors, enemies, practial jokers, etc., could just order dozens of these things, pile them up in storage or landfill and never use them. M$ would be stuck with the tab and collect no revenue. Thus wouldn't they have to collect a significant portion of the PC's cost via a combination of up-front payment and minimum monthly fee over some contract term? At that point it seems not worthwhile for most users.
They would probably adapt to something like what cell phone companies use for pay as you go. Mine, they used to charge you a fee if you didn't use your phone at all for a month. Now, they switched to if you don't add more money to your phone, they take all the money on the account - regardless of usage or balance. So say you put on $10,000 and a month or two later you still have a $3000 balance -- no need to put more money on yet as there is still plenty. Wrong, the company just confiscated that $3000!

I can see M$ being even more malfeasant than that!
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)