View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

There was a howto on the forums which cracked me up. The fellow goes into great detail about running a script on remote machines--but all of the detail was about ssh keypairs--basically, he walks you through something relatively easy to figure out, having user cacti being able to ssh to a remote machine.
Then, he ends the howto with something like, create your data inquiry and template, and you're done.
Gee, thanks.

That's a bit of an exaggeration--I think he took you through the data inquiry part. At some point, following their directions, I messed up the total bandwidth template and now can't graph it, but that's not too important. Like you, we use it for routers and switches. We also use it for a few other things--load on a couple of AIX machines and the like. My big accomplishment was getting it to graph the amount of mail in mailq on a machine running postfix. (I used the ssh keypair method, but simply wrote a little script to give an integer of the amount of messages in queue. Then, using some documentation in their handbook that was actually pretty useful, that of getting data from a script, I graph the results of that.

Now, what can be amusing is when you make an opera shortcut to your cacti server's web interface, mistype it slightly, and wind up on a page about growing and cultivating plants.