View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd December 2014
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Unfortunately the quality of documentation vary greatly among BSDs and it is a typical first indication of the health and strength of particular community (I am not thinking here just four core BSDs but also derived distros like flashrd for OpenBSD or pfSense, FreeNAS, PC-BSD/TrueOS for FreeBSD).
Moin!

I have CSRG Archive that includes four CD-ROMs, created by Dr. Marshall Kirk McKusick. I use It as a main reference to almost all man pages I'm interested With.

All core distributions goes with their main list of software that is included in base installation. And If you look closer for e.g. at history part in some manuals You can find differences like in; man 1 finger;

a) NetBSD -
Quote:
The finger command appeared in 3.0BSD.
b) FreeBSD -
Quote:
The finger command appeared in 3.0BSD.
c) OpenBSD -
Quote:
The finger command appeared in 2BSD.
In these case OpenBSD simply win, because It's true that finger program first appeared in base of 2nd BSD; that was created in times when Unix Seventh Edition appeared .

On next example, let's see man 1 who;
a) NetBSD -
Quote:
A who utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX.
b) FreeBSD -
Quote:
A who command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX.
c) OpenBSD -
Quote:
A who utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX.
According to the first edition of the Unix Programmer's Manual; FreeBSD and OpenBSD man pages are true, NetBSD is wrong.

OpenBSD man pages are one of the most accurate e.g. in history notation.

Ingo Schwarze [I posted few 'pdf's' written by Him on OpenBSD - papers... ] is very precise in doing those "small notes" with the right way.

But in therms of "flavours" or quality of manuals; NetBSD, FreeBSD and OpenBSD are unique in some parts.

For example NetBSD; man 9 intro, which presents list of 'tools' that are related to kernel internals.

Compare this with man 9 intro in OpenBSD and FreeBSD.

Salut,
Marcin

Last edited by muflon; 22nd December 2014 at 02:09 PM.